This weekend I caught up with the shop owner of rebourne, an online clothing shop specializing in wool cloth diaper covers. Marni, the artisan behind the upcycled items, was kind enough to answer a few questions for me — even though her newest baby is not yet a week old. Thanks Marni!
Q: How would you describe rebourne?
My shop is a collection of handmade items for baby and family. I use mostly upcycled materials to create one-of-a-kind creations, many of which are cloth diapering oriented.
Q: As I was browsing your shop, I noticed the word “longies” used to describe some of the diaper covers. For the benefit of those who aren’t familiar with the term, could you explain?
Longies are pants made out of wool that are used as a cloth diaper cover. Instead of using a plastic cover over a cloth diaper, longies are worn as a cover that doubles as comfortable pants!
Q. What are the advantages of using wool as a cloth diaper cover?
Advantages for baby:
- soft material against their skin (not all wool is scratchy!)
- wool is a breathable, natural fiber that maintains a safe temperature without locking in heat like plastic
- wool is naturally anti-microbial and doesn’t trap odors or stains: even if it is soaked with urine, it will not retain the urine odor!
Advantages for the environment:
- wool is a natural fiber (thank you sheep!)
- I use mostly upcycled wool from sweaters I find in thrift shops, thus supporting a local non-profit and using fabric that might otherwise be in a landfill
- unlike the waterproof materials commonly used for cloth diapering, wool is not treated with any kind of plastic (“safe” or otherwise)
- it’s not a petroleum-based industry
- wool requires less laundering than plastics, using less water and detergent (good for mama too!!)
Q. What’s currently your favorite item in the shop?
The large wet bag, because it is the item I am using the most right now. I would like to create a wool wet bag and move completely away from using any plastics in the future.
Be sure to check out rebourne and see what other baby & family goods are in stock!