well, here we are in orlando, florida. we made it! we made it to the land of frizzy hair and soggy air.
many of you know how nervous i was to fly with a wee one, but it turned out soooo much better than i imagined. (except, we were selected for one of those fabulous TSA patdowns. it was definitely awkward. aveline even got a patdown. i mean seriously?!) but after that ordeal was over, the rest of the trip was fabulous. she was such a perfect baby on the flights (thank you, Lord!) and slept most of the time. the baby bjorn was our best friend for those long walks from one gate to the next. really, the only tough moment was her screaming fit as we were boarding in houston — but it was a short-lived outburst. i am so thankful she didn’t have any problems with the takeoff or landing! she actually snoozed her way through both landings. it was a great experience, and i am so grateful to my jetsetting mama friends who shared the following tips with me:
Tips on Traveling with an Infant
- nurse the baby during the take off and landing, even if it’s not “time” — this helps the baby handle the change in air pressure
- use a carrier or sling — it makes walking so much easier, and it keeps strangers’ from touching baby’s face
- allow plenty of time to get from one gate to another if you’re changing flights
- pack more diapers and baby outfits than you think you’ll need
- pack a change of clothes for yourself
- don’t bring a travel-size package of wipes, pack a full package! ;-)
- stay calm even if your baby is screaming — getting frazzled yourself only makes it that much worse
- have baby’s birth certificate with you, as some airlines require this documentation
so yes, florida. i am so happy to be back with my amazing husband. i missed him so much. i missed us all being together. i missed my own bed. and as you can see from this photo, little aveline missed her bed, too. doesn’t she look adorable? co-sleeping is the best! i love it.
- Summer Infant Contoured Changing Pad
- Summer Infant Organic Cotton Naturally Yours Changing Pad Cover in Ginger
- Pillowcases from Crate and Barrel (no longer available)
- Old Navy newborn fleece footie pajamas (no longer available)
Have any other tips for traveling with an infant? Share them in the comments!